In Germany there are various scholarships aimed at foreign applicants, such as Indonesia. Epos Scholarship is one of them. The term Epos stands for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses. This scholarship is part of the DAAD program which is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Well, this year the DAAD Epos scholarship is reopening. In addition to full tuition scholarships, this scholarship also provides partial or part-time scholarships. It is based on the study program and university chosen later. There are dozens of study programs available, both master and doctoral levels at German universities.
If you are interested in applying for the Epos Scholarship 2023 – 2024, make sure you have at least two years of professional work experience. Applicants can come from government institutions, universities, state-owned enterprises, or private companies.
For master’s degree applicants, the duration of the program is between 12 – 24 months. For the doctoral program, the duration is 42 months. The length of the duration depends on the choice of the program. Selected candidates will receive a scholarship of 861 Euros per month for the master’s program, and 1,200 Euros per month for the PhD program. Then health and accident insurance, as well as a German language course for 6 months for lectures in German. In addition, travel allowances are also provided, unless the costs are borne by the country of origin or funding from other sources.
Under certain circumstances, scholarship recipients may also receive additional benefits, namely a monthly rent subsidy, as well as a monthly allowance for accompanying family members. Fees that are not provided by the DAAD are in the form of tuition fees or university entrance fees. These costs are borne by the applicant himself. Another interesting thing is that applicants are not age restricted as long as the last degree of study is not more than 6 years since it was obtained.
Areas of study offered:
- Economic Sciences/ Business Administration/ Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional and Urban Planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Social Sciences, Education and Law
- Media Studies
DAAD EPOS 2022/2023 Requirements:
- Work for public authorities (government), state companies, or private companies in developing countries.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Completed an academic degree with above average grades and has at least two years of professional work experience in a related field.
- Academic degrees that have been achieved normally are not more than six years.
- For lectures that use German: take DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 with a minimum level of B1.
- For courses in English: IELTS (Band 6) or TOEFL PBT score of 550, CBT 213, and IBT 80.
- DAAD application form (download)
- A signed CV (using the Europass form)
- A signed motivation letter (referring to current work and postgraduate program options, maximum 2 pages with the most recent date)
- Letter of recommendation from university, has a letterhead, officially signed and stamped (not put in a sealed envelope)
- Letter of recommendation from workplace/supervisor, has a letterhead, officially signed and stamped (not put in a sealed envelope)
- Employment certificate from superior showing a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and if possible accompanied by a guarantee of hiring again if you have returned
- Evidence of language skills: IELTS or TOEFL for English courses or DSH or TestDaF for German courses.
- Certified copy of academic degree diploma (with translation if necessary)
- A copy of the transcript, and the rating scale (with a translation if necessary)
- Some courses may require additional documents. Please refer to the DAAD Scholarship Guide 2023 – 2024 (Download) for details.
The application for the DAAD Epos Scholarship 2023 – 2024 is submitted directly to each postgraduate program you wish to apply for. The website address and instructions are listed in the DAAD scholarship guide above. Deadlines are also set individually. Between August 2022 to January 2023. Applicants can choose up to three majors. Later, the university will consider potential candidates and propose them to the DAAD. Next, the DAAD will contact potential candidates proposed by universities in Germany and ask applicants to upload a complete application on the DAAD portal page.
Make sure you keep a PDF copy of each of the above application documents for later upload on the DAAD portal page. If indeed selected as a candidate proposed by the university.